Makes 6 servings of Romanian mamaliga
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 3 1/2 cups water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup coarse yellow cornmeal
- Sour cream (optional)
- Telemea or feta cheese (optional)
- Fresh herbs of choice (optional)
- Bring the water to a rolling boil. Add the salt and butter, stirring to melt. Using a wooden spoon, add the cornmeal very gradually, while stirring constantly in the same direction.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring frequently, until it thickens and starts to pull away from the sides of the pot, about 35-40 minutes. Serve hot.
- NOTE: If desired, while mamaliga is still hot, add more butter, cheese, sour cream and herbs. Mamaliga can also be served with a dollop of sour cream. Mamaliga can be poured into a pan. When cool, it can be flipped out onto a cutting board, cut into squares and sauteed in butter until crispy.