SHORTCUT: Use 2 (1-pound) packages frozen hashed browns, thawed and drained, in place of grated potatoes.
Makes 12 (3-Inch) Fat-Free Potato Latkes
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 2 large egg whites
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped onion or 1 clove grated garlic or 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or to taste
- 4 medium (2 1/2 pounds) baking potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Line large cookie sheet with parchment paper. In large bowl, combine egg whites, onion or garlic or chives, flour, salt and pepper.
- In a food processor, grate potatoes using shredding disk. Transfer to a colander that has a bowl underneath. Let drain a few minutes and then press down on potatoes to squeeze out excess moisture. Pour off the potato water in the bowl under the colander, making sure not to pour off the potato starch that has settled to the bottom. Add the starch and grated potatoes to the egg mixture, combining well.
- Drop 1/3 cup potato mixture onto prepared pan, spacing 2 inches apart, to make 12 pancakes. Flatten to a 3-inch round. Bake 15 minutes. Turn latkes over and bake an additional 15 minutes or until brown and crisp on both sides. Serve with applesauce and fat-free sour cream, if desired.