Here is a larger photo of Lithuanian Kugelis.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Total Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes
Yield: 1 (13x9-inch) pan Kugelis
- 1/2 pound chopped bacon
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 5 large eggs, beaten
- 1 1/4 cups milk
- 1 (7-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 cup farina
- 5 pounds peeled and grated (not shredded) red or white potatoes
- In a large skillet, saute bacon and onion until lightly browned and caramelized. Do not drain the fat. Set aside to cool.
- Place oven shelf in middle and heat to 350 degrees. Coat a 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. In a large bowl, combine eggs, milk, evaporated milk, salt and farina. Add bacon-onion mixture and drippings. Stir.
- Using a food processor or by hand, finely grate potatoes, squeezing out excess moisture. Work quickly so potatoes don't darken. Check out this QUICK TIP to keep your grated potatoes from turning dark. Add to egg-bacon mixture, combining well. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 1/2 hours or until top is quite brown but interior is solid but still moist.
- Remove from oven and let sit for 5 minutes before cutting into squares. Leftovers can be browned in butter the next day.