Makes 2 large Croatian Apple Strudels
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 45 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
- 10 sheets thawed filo dough
- 4 ounces (1 stick) melted butter
- 5 tart apples like Granny Smith, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup dark or light raisins
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup fine dry breadcrumbs
- Confectioners' sugar
- Heat oven to 350 degrees. On a clean, dry dish towel, place 1 sheet filo dough. Brush lightly with melted butter, beginning with edges and working toward the center. Repeat with 4 more sheets of filo dough, placing them one on top of the other. Remember to butter the fourth sheet.
- Place half the sliced apples evenly along one long side of filo dough in about a 4-inch-wide strip. Then sprinkle half the nuts, raisins, zest, sugar and breadcrumbs over the apples. Roll jellly-roll fashion, using dish towel as an aid. Turn the ends under. Brush the entire strudel with melted butter. Place seam-side down on a parchment-lined sheet pan. Repeat with remaining 5 filo sheets and rest of filling.
- Bake about 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove from oven, cool and dust with confectioners' sugar.