Here is a larger photo of Ukrainian fruit and nut strudel or fruktovykh ta horikovykh shtrudel.
Prep Time: 45 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 35 minutes
Yield: 1 large Fruit-Nut Strudel
- Strudel Dough:
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large slightly beaten egg
- 1/3 cup lukewarm water
- Melted butter
- Fruit and Nut Filling:
- 6 large eggs, separated
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 cup chopped dried figs
- 1/2 cup ground (not chopped) walnuts
- 1/4 cup ground (not chopped almonds)
- 1 cup chopped pitted prunes
- 1/2 cup golden dark raisins
- 1/8 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Zest of 1 lemon and 1 orange
- 1/2 cup vodka or light rum (optional)
- Mix flour and salt in a medium bowl or stand mixer. Add egg and water and mix until well incorporated. Knead until dough is smooth and elastic and starts to form blisters. This can take up to 20 minutes. Sprinkle lightly with flour, cover with a warm bowl and let stand 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the filling. Beat 6 egg yolks and 1/4 cup sugar until creamy. Stir in figs, walnuts, almonds, prunes, raisins, cocoa powder, cinnamon, lemon and orange zests, and vodka or rum, if using. Mix well and set aside.
- Cover a large table with a cloth and sprinkle it lightly with flour. Place dough in center and roll it as thin as possible. Now flour your hands lightly. Place hands, palms down, under dough and stretch gently in all directions toward the edge of the table. While stretching, ease dough by lifting it gently. Be gentle to prevent tears! When stretched to the thinness of tissue paper, trim off the thick edges (this can be kneaded, rolled and cut into noodles). Let the stretched dough dry 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finish the filling by beating 6 egg whites, gradually adding remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until soft peaks form. Fold egg whites into fruit-nut mixture.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Brush entire surface of dough with melted butter. Spread filling on 1/3 of the dough. Use the cloth to roll the strudel away from you. Tuck in the ends. Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and brush entire surface of strudel with melted butter. Bake at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Lower temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking until crisp and delicately browned, about 20-30 more minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Cut into slices and serve slightly warm.