Kovbasa, made with pork and beef, are hand formed like cevapcici. The meat mixture can be prepared days in advance before rolling into cylinders and cooking. Grilling, frying or baking all produce a good result.
Makes 6 servings of Ukrainian Kovbasa Sausage
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1 pound ground pork
- 1/2 pound ground beef chuck
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 2 teaspoons peperivka (see below)
- 1/2 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Combine pork, beef, eggs, peperivka, allspice and salt. Check seasonings by frying a small amount and tasting. Adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Form meat mixture into 6 sausages. Add oil to a large skillet over medium heat. When hot, carefully add sausages, cooking in batches if necessary, 7 to 10 minutes per side.
- Garnish with parsley and serve with mashed potatoes, if desired.