Here's a larger photo of Romanian braised sauerkraut.
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 30 minutes
Yield: 8 servings Romanian Sauerkraut
- 2 pounds sauerkraut
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter
- 2 teaspoons cracked black pepper or to taste
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons salt or to taste
- 1 tablespoon sweet Hungarian paprika
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- Drain sauerkraut, reserving juices for other uses like sour soups. Place them in a glass jar with a screw top and refrigerate. Wash sauerkraut, drain and soak in cold water 30 minutes. Drain and squeeze sauerkraut dry.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter, add sauerkraut, coating with butter and saute 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Add pepper and tomato sauce. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 50 minutes, adding water if necessary if it becomes too dry.
- Add salt, paprika and wine. Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Serve with pork, poultry or fish.