My mother always grated beets into her chrzan for color and a touch of sweetness. In fact, the first time I saw plain white horseradish, I thought it was something else entirely. One taste told me differently!
Here are more beet recipes.
Makes about 3 cups of Polish Horseradish with Beets
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 cups homemade or purchased horseradish
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pound beets, cooked, peeled, cooled and grated or 1 (14-ounce) can prepared beets, drained and grated
- In a large bowl, mix together vinegar, brown sugar, horseradish and salt until well combined.
- Add beets and mix thoroughly.
- Pack into clean sterilized jars and store refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.