I remember my brother and father grating huge roots for my mother, tears streaming down their faces. The vapors given off when slicing onions have nothing on those of horseradish. My sister-in-law says the men in her family fortified themselves with a shot of whisky before starting.
At dinner, we kids would see who could eat the most chrzan without crying. I never won.
With today's food processors, homemade chrzan is a snap to make.
Makes about 2 cups of Polish horseradish
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 15 minutes
- 1 pound horseradish root, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Mix together all ingredients until well combined.
- Pack into a clean, sterilized pint jar. Store refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.
- When grated beets are added, chrzan becomes ćwikła .