Here's a larger picture of sauerkraut and apples.
Makes 6 servings of Sauerkraut and Apples
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 1 hour
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 2 tablespoons bacon drippings or butter
- 1 large chopped onion
- 2 red apples, cored but unpeeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 pound sauerkraut, drained and rinsed or unrinsed as you prefer, but not squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon or regular mustard
- 1 or more teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 1/2 cups applesauce
- Salt and pepper
- Place bacon drippings or butter in Dutch oven. Add onions and saute until translucent. Add apples and caramelize slightly. Add sauerkraut, water, brown sugar, mustard and caraway seeds, and mix well.
- If baking, heat oven to 325 degrees. Cover and bake (or simmer on the stovetop) for 50 minutes. Stir occasionally, adding water if necessary. Mix applesauce with kraut, cover and return to oven (or simmer) for 10 minutes. Serve as a side dish with pork, sausage, beef or poultry.