Here's a larger photo of Pickled Beets and Onions and here are more beet recipes.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Marinate preferably overnight: 12 hours
Total Time: 12 hours, 40 minutes
Yield: 4 servings Pickled Beets & Onion
- 16 baby beets, tops trimmed
- 2 medium red onions, julienned
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2/3 cup water
- To make the beets: Bring a large pot of salted water to a rolling boil. Add beets, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain well. When cool enough to handle, slip off skin. Place beets in a nonreactive bowl and set aside.
- To make the marinade: In a small saucepan, combine onions, sugar, vinegar, salt and 2/3 cup water and bring to a boil over high heat. Simmer 5 minutes.
- Pour hot marinade over beets, and cool to room temperature. Cover the beets well and refrigerate for several hours or overnight before serving.