This sweet-and-sour braised red cabbage side dish comes together in a snap, especially if you use a food processor to shred the cabbage and onion. Czerwona Kapusta Zasmazana goes great with just about any dish, but is a favorite with ham, pork and sausage.
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 6 servings Braised Red Cabbage
- 1 (3-pound) head red cabbage, shredded
- 1 medium onion, shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter or canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 4 tablespoons red-wine vinegar
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In large pot, cook cabbage and onion in butter or oil until it collapses, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix together water, vinegar, brown sguar, pepper and salt until sugar is dissolved. Add to cabbage mixture. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low.
- Continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, about 15 minutes. Refrigerate overnight to improve flavor. Freezes well.