This savory jam is being increasingly used by Mo-Po (modern Polish cuisine) chefs and other Eastern European culinarians. Here's a larger photo of red onion marmalade.
Makes about 1 cup Red Onion Marmalade
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 55 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 thinly sliced red onions
- 1/2 cup sugar (1/4 cup if using juice instead of wine)
- 1/4 cup red-wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup dry red wine, or cranberry juice or pomegranate juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt or to taste
- In a medium saucepan, heat oil over medium-low heat. Add onions and saute until they soften and become translucent, about 10-15 minutes.
- Mix in sugar and cook 2 minutes or until sugar has dissolved. Carefully add vinegar and wine (or juice). Increase the heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until the liquid has evaporated and onions are caramelized and completely tender, stirring frequently. This will take anywhere from 30 to 60 minutes. Watch the onions carefully so they don't burn.
- Serve warm or cool and store covered in the refrigerator. Reheat as necessary.