Here's a larger photo of root vegetable stew. Common root vegetables include potatoes, onions, garlic, carrots and beets. Their not-so-glamorous, but equally delicious, cousins include turnips, rutabagas, parsnips, and celeriac (celery root).
Makes 4-6 servings of Russian Root Vegetable Stew - Ragu iz Ovoshej
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1 tablespoon sunflower or vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 2 large red potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium rutabaga, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium turnip, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 parsnip, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths
- 1 medium celeriac (celery root), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/2 cup finely chopped parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, saute onion in oil over medium heat until translucent, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, rutabaga, turnip, parsnip and celeriac, and saute, stirring frequently, for about 10 minutes or until vegetables begin to collapse. Add stock, bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simer for 20 minutes until vegetables are soft but still hold their shape.
- Add parsley and butter and stir until butter has melted. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Serve with dark rye bread or sourdough rye bread and butter.